First, nothing ruins a Thursday more than realizing it’s a Wednesday.
It’s been that kind of a week.
That aside, there have been some high points to the week, and it seems that the medication I on (rather medications) are continuing to have a positive effect.
On the health front, it was a bit of a difficult week. As I am still continuing to experience a lack of energy and some other side effects, the docs are doing some testing to make sure that they ARE side effects, and not symptoms of something else (thyroid is the main suspect–which runs in my family). I met with the oncologist, and as far as cancer prevention, he is happy with where I am at with the hormone therapy, and hopes I am able to get my surgery soon as he believes that will help with the side effects.
I had a bit of an anxious couple of days. Since the weekend, I had been feeling a lot of tenderness in my right armpit, and as I was trying to figure out where exactly it was, I felt a very tender lump. Considering my history, any tender lump on my right side is cause for anxiety. I was able to get it checked out, and it appears that I have a swollen lymph node which is likely a sign I am fighting a bit of an infection. I was told that the fact that it was tender was a positive thing as a cancerous lump would not be. Just to be sure, I will have an ultrasound to have a look, but it does already seem to be feeling less sore. It’s a load off.
Now I just wait for blood work and keep doing what I am doing.
So, what am I doing?
The posture change continues. I can feel it starting to take more solid hold, although I had a couple of days where my back was killing me–a sign that I was indeed making changes enough to irritate it. It has started to settle down as this becomes the ‘new normal’ and I am pleased with how easy it is getting. Still have to stay on top of it, but it is coming.
Another change I am making is to my practice, and this is almost proving a little bit harder. It’s easy to fall into old habits of drilling and following the structure I am used to and comfortable with. This week though, I set the changes and have been making myself stick to them.
I am only doing the set drill intervals on Monday and Friday, and only 1 set of each standard and latin, the rest of that practice time is reviewing things from my lessons. Wednesday, there is no drilling. I am trying to use Wednesday to dig into things I want to dig into from my lessons and work through to figure out. It’s a ‘supervised’ open practice meaning there are other dancers around doing their own thing and Boss is in the hall for anyone who has questions. I have given myself permission to ask if I get stuck.
I wasn’t really sure what to do tonight, which is what made it a challenge, and I wasn’t sure if I would be able to fill the time. There were a list of things I wanted to go through, so I just started with that and let it go from there. Top of the list was working through the sequence of my rumba routine on my own and figuring out the steps. I had to ask about the footwork in one step, but I was able to go through it top to bottom a few times tonight, so it is getting pretty grounded in my head, and I have a pretty good idea where the uncertainties are.
I also worked through some of the waltz sequence we have been doing in lessons. I wanted to see how it went on my own, but I also needed to test my own limits a bit to see what I can control and where I can push myself a little. There are a couple places that are driving me a little crazy (particularly the transition from spin turn to turning locks), but it is slowly coming.
Finally, one of the other changes I am trying to get into my body is to keep my right foot straight in standard (which for me feels twisted in). I needed to get a better idea of how much I have to twist it in to keep it straight, which I seem to have been able to figure out. It’s a challenge in itself as I have to try to apply it across all the moves I make with my right foot–whether a side step, forward or back–and it’s still pretty ‘foreign’ feeling. In Waltz in particular I find lock steps almost impossible as it truly feels like one foot is facing the wall and the other is facing line of dance. I am hoping it will get better the more I work at it and perhaps it will force some physical changes in how that foot and knee turns out. Tango seems to be the best dance for working through that (as I can check my foot alignment when I do a close).
I have made some small changes to my schedule in general, which I hope will make things more manageable on my body. I have moved strength training to Sat, Mon, Wed, and kept dance MWF (with Latin technique on Thursday). I am hoping by spreading things out a bit more at the end of the week, it will help distribute my energy a bit better and keep me from getting exhausted.
The only other thing that is on my mind is that I still don’t have a date for my hysterectomy. I was called today and offered a date for the revisions and reconstruction still needed from the mastectomies and reconstruction, but it was for mid-June and I really don’t know how close together the two surgeries can be. I also am tied up with work until at least June 22, so all surgeries need to be after then. They are looking at doing the reconstruction work in July now, but again, it depends on the other surgery. If I don’t hear about a date tomorrow I plan to call as pretty much my entire life has to be scheduled around the hysterectomy and its recovery.
Until then, I will just keep working through the changes.